Monday, February 28, 2011

Poly Info Glut: Where's the Index??

Yesterday, I typed the word "polyamory" into that little box on the google start-up page. 

Way too much stuff came up.

Which was odd, because one of the reasons I'm writing about my experiences as a person-who-reluctantly-identifies-as-poly (see my very first post, "Hello, My Label Is..." for my reservations) is that I have this goofy notion that there's a lacuna out there, an information void just waiting for me to come along and fill it up with my penetrating insights.

Go ahead, ask me what planet I've been living on.

There might not be a shelf dedicated to polyamory at the local bookstore (if you're lucky enough to have a local bookstore!) but there are virtual bookshelves aplenty in the poly library on the web.

However, after a couple of hours of wading through various online discussion forums, blogs, a poly weekly, etc., I hadn't found what I was looking for.

And what was I looking for?  I didn't know, precisely, but it seemed like there might be a discussion, somewhere, of poly ideology (other than my own post by that title, that is).  I was looking for statements that toed the poly "party line" -- but I didn't find any.

There were details of various people's journeys -- their hookups, their jealousies, the mind-boggling complications of their relationship dramas, plus, for good measure, descriptions of their adorable fluffy kitties.  There was a lot about unicorns, a.k.a. the hot bi babe who is completely unattached because she's just dying to devote her entire life to the right MF couple who needs her to spice up their marriage.  There was also a lot on kink.  I was introduced to the term "bukkake," and although I'm still not entirely certain what it is, Cunning Minx describes it as "a sea of cock," so it can't be all bad, right?

The point is, none of what I found seemed particularly relevant to me.  Not given my specific aim (which was that I wanted to write a "devil's advocate" sort of blog entry, using the poly party line as a springboard) -- and not given my general concerns (the recurring questions, philosophical debates, ethical dilemmas, etc.) that keep coming up for me, my partners, and the other poly people I know.

Relevant-to-me information on polyamory exists, I'm sure -- but how to find it?

What we need is a team of lightning-speed, like-minded poly indexers.

Or, failing that, an exhaustive scholarly compendium.

Or maybe just a well-written, thoughtful book.

You know why there are so few actual books written on polyamory?  Because most poly people don't have the time or the singleness of purpose necessary to write a book and get it published. We're all too busy with our multiplicities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment