Sunday, May 15, 2011

Fetishwear for Northwesterners

Travis and I were making our breakfast pancakes, planning another fantasy joint venture, riffing on the possibilities.

Travis: “I think there’s a market for ecologically sound fetishwear.  You know, like something REI might be convinced to carry.”

Viny: “Waterproof. With bug netting for the exposed areas.”

Travis: “Our body suit is made from 100% organic, fair-trade rubber…”

Viny: “Or wait, wait -- how ‘bout this?  The telescoping paddle – for use with your kayak, or in the bedroom!”

Obviously, we need to stop talking and get to work on realizing our grand collaborative vision.

Or something.
 
I’m about to move away with my husband and my kids.  Travis still doesn’t know what he’s doing.  Maybe this is why so many of our recent conversations have revolved around going into business together. We make good partners. It feels comforting to imagine a future we can both inhabit, some reason to be together. But how, exactly, do we go about giving ourselves an “us” we can count on?
 
We’re looking for an excuse, any excuse. Hey, I’ve got it! Let’s build a fetishwear empire!

Travis: “Seriously, I can picture you running a boutique. Parker could sell his batik in the front – The Batik Boutique! – and there could be a back room – The Back Room, with a neon sign, the figure of a woman looking over her shoulder – dontcha think?  And I could do the marketing. Like, here’s the ad I’m picturing: there’s a couple in bed, in a tent in the woods.  Woman: ‘I’m hungry.’ Hands the man her leather thong. Man fits it into a slingshot.  He comes back with a pheasant in one hand and the thong in the other. ‘Honey, I’m home!’”

Viny: “A pheasant?!?”

Travis: [voice-over] “And, for you vegetarians out there: our thong works great for gathering berries, too!”

No comments:

Post a Comment